The Darco Great Toe Splint is an adjustable, pre or post-operative splint that relieves the symptoms of hallux valgus, bunions, and other conditions affecting the large (great) toe joint.
The Great Toe Splint is manufactured with neoprene and nylon. Patients can wear it during either the day or night. Its low profile design allows you to use it with most types of footwear. You can wear it under a sock if required, or with no footwear at all (barefoot).
Hallux valgus causes the first metatarsal bone to deviate toward the midline of the body. In addition, the great toe deviates away from the midline of the body. The Great Toe Splint helps to combat the resulting misalignment. It holds the big toe in the correct position, ensuring that it heals correctly and the surgery will have a successful outcome.
Due to its neoprene construction, patients with a history of neoprene allergies should exercise caution before wearing this splint.
To apply the splint:
- Insert your large toe through the hole in the front of the splint.
- Position the floor of the splint along the sole of your foot and wrap the securing strap around the top of the foot.
- Secure the splint by pressing the securing strap against the portion of the splint that covers your ankle.
- Adjust the splint so that there is a small amount of tension on the great toe and a comfortable fit for the remainder of your foot.
- Use the velcro closure on the securing strap to hold the splint in position.
You may remove the splint each day for a few minutes at a time.
To clean your Darco Great Toe Splint, hand wash it in lukewarm water using a mild soap or detergent. Then let it air dry. Do not use bleach or fabric softener. Avoid machine washing or tumble drying.
Darco Great Toe Splint – Features and Benefits
- Adjustable, post-operative splint
- Indicated for relief of symptoms associated with hallux valgus and other great toe joint conditions
- Helps relieve painful bunions